The uses of a pumpkin!

 Following our morning out pumpkin picking, my wonderful girlfriend began preparing her infamous pumpkin soup. The sort of infamous that I have heard about for over two years, but never tried.  

 

Meanwhile, I was preparing some HOT chicken strips and sweet potato chips. Looking over, I noticed she had some carrot and parsnip peels, ready for the food bin... Sneakily, I stole them and added them to my chicken. Then boasted about how good an idea it was, and instantly got caught out! 

 

Having saved the peelings from the bin, I eyed up the other ingredients to see what else I could make... and a quick google search later, I found out that the whole pumpkin can be eaten (except the stem). This sounded much nicer than onion skins, so I read on some more! 

 

One suggestion was to pierce the pumpkin, then roast the whole thing – which is something to try next time I have a whole pumpkin laying around spare.  

 

A few more suggestions were more suited to the leftovers. And these can be done after carving your pumpkins too! Here’s what we did:  

 

My girlfriend used the flesh for her amazing pumpkin soup! 

 

I took all the seeds, separated from the stringy mush, mixed in a bit of salt, laid them onto a baking tray, and sprinkled on a bit more salt and some Olive oil. And roasted for about 25 minutes, until golden brown. The result - a delicious, healthy snack to pick at all night! 

 

The skin of the pumpkin went under the knife, to make chip shapes. And were also sprinkled in salt and olive oil and roasted for 20 minutes. Keep an eye on these though – over cook them and they shrivel up a lot! Whoops! The result – although shrivelled, a great side to the pumpkin soup! 

 

Finally, the mushy, stringy innards. Once all the seeds were removed, I boiled it all up in a saucepan with water, drained the water into a jug, and mixed it up with either cider or apple juice, creating a delicious pumpkin cider, and no-alcohol pumpkin cider, respectively! A great addition to a Halloween party, for kids and adults! I used some Henry Weston’s Vintage cider, although I would probably recommend a cider that isn’t quite as strong to really get a good pumpkin note to it.  

 



 

Let me know what you’ve made with leftover pumpkins in the comments below! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Recover After exercise!

No Excuses! Just Acceptance!